The St. Charles County Golden Games Board of Directors has decided to postpone the Games traditionally held in the spring to the early fall.
The Games will begin Friday, Sept.17 and continue through Saturday, Sept. 23. Officials with the program said these dates were selected to avoid conflict with other senior games that traditionally take place during this time.
The goal of the 2021 games is to offer outdoor events at the very minimum. Several factors are involved in holding the Games including county statutes, the availability of facilities, and the comfort level of the numerous volunteers needed to operate the games. Many of the Golden Games are held at Senior Facilities, and it is unlikely they will be able to participate in 2021, officials have said.
At this point, the following events have the most potential to be held:
• Friday, Sept.17 – shuffleboard, pickleball, miniature golf
• Saturday, Sept. 18 – pickleball, soccer, track & field, specialty events
• Monday, Sept. 20 – executive golf, bocce ball
• Tuesday, Sept. 21- golf, trap shooting, air gun, 5k run, wobble trap
• Wednesday, Sept. 22 – shuffleboard (singles), air pistol, skeet
• Thursday, Sept. 23 – cycling, cornhole
“We are extremely disappointed that after canceling the 2020 games we must go forward into 2021 with caution. We hope that by holding the games at a later date the senior population will be vaccinated and the environment will be safe,” Golden Games Chairman Jeff Ford said.