Rather than tossing away a natural Christmas tree after the Yuletide celebration, residents should consider recycling them. Evergreen trees can serve as fish habitat in area lakes, chipped wood paths along natural surface walking trails, mulch and more.
The St. Charles County Division of Environmental Health and Protection leads the natural tree recycling collection in the county, partnering with several local municipalities to provide convenient drop-off locations. To recycle natural Christmas trees in St. Charles County, residents must remove the stand, all decorations, lights and any packaging.
Trees can be taken to any of these locations:
St. Charles County Recycle Works
• Recycle Works Central in St. Charles, 60 Triad South
• Recycle Works West in Wentzville, 2110 East Pitman Avenue
Both are open 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Dec. 26 to Jan. 11 – except Dec. 29, Jan. 1 and Jan. 5.
Holiday light strands, cardboard boxes, and wrapping paper and electronics may be recycled at the facilities.
Additional Tree Collection Locations in St. Charles County
• Laurel Park in St. Peters [upper parking lot], use McClay Valley Boulevard entrance; open 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Dec. 26 to Jan. 12.
• St. Peters Earth Centre, 115 Ecology Drive; open 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Dec. 26 to Jan. 11. St. Peters Earth Centre is not open on Sundays.
• Founders Park in Lake Saint Louis, #7 Freymuth Road; open Dec 26 to Jan. 12 during posted park hours.
• Quail Ridge Park in Wentzville [Group Picnic Area parking lot], 560 Interstate Drive; open 7 a.m. to sunset, daily, Dec. 26 to Jan. 12.
• Progress Park in Wentzville [parking lot], 968 Meyer Road; open Jan. 2 to Jan. 18 during posted park hours.
• Heartland Park in Wentzville, 100 William Dierberg Drive; open Jan. 2 to Jan. 18 during posted park hours.
• Rotary Park in Wentzville, 2577 W. Meyer Road; open Jan. 4 to Jan. 18 during posted park hours.
For more information on St. Charles County’s recycling program or materials that may be recycled through these facilities, call (636) 949-1800 or visit sccmo.org/RecycleWorks.