A bill [No. 7141] sponsored by O’Fallon Mayor Bill Hennessy and introduced to the City Council on Oct. 10 would amend Chapter 500 of the Municipal Code relating to fees for permits, plan reviews and services associated with the administration of certain technical codes.
Building valuation data used by the city is updated every six months for square foot construction costs to account for inflation. However, the last comprehensive review of permit fees was done in 2006 and current fees are not adequate to cover current city staff or administrative costs. The proposed bill includes a new fee structure including simplified calculation and reasonable cost recovery based on project size and current conditions. It was discussed in detail at the Oct. 10 council workshop.
At the Oct. 24 council meeting, the bill was given a first reading. If typical process and timing are followed, the second reading and vote for approval would be at the Nov. 14 council meeting.
At a high level, the new fee structure would include:
• Fees for plan review and building permits for all new commercial and residential construction, and all new additions to commercial and residential construction will be calculated by multiplying the applicable cost of construction by a factor of .0065. Minimum fees apply and are listed separately.
• If an application for a building permit is canceled or abandoned by the applicant for any reason prior to a building permit being issued, a minimum charge shall be collected for plan examination and administrative processing. That charge $25, or 20% of the permit fee, whichever is greater.
• Rental occupancy permit fees of $75 for single-family; $50 per unit for multi-family.
• Master Plan special provisions for new residential construction.
• All fees must be paid in full prior to the issuance of the relevant permit.
Minimum building permit fees of:
- $25 for fences and similar barriers.
- $50 for shed; gazebo/pergola; residential furnace/air conditioner; residential water heater; temporary pool.
- $75 for mechanical; electrical; plumbing; sewer install/repair; water service; lawn sprinkler; retaining wall; deck; patio cover; pavilion; above-ground pool; hot tub; mobile home; solar panels.
- $100 for demolition; deck with cover; finished basement; in-ground pool; residential remodel/kitchen/bathroom; flag pole over 35 feet; commercial fire suppression system/sprinklers/hoods; communication tower antennae installation; misc. construction not defined elsewhere.
- $150 for barn; detached garage; misc. building; room addition; commercial repairs; commercial tenant finish; temporary structures/tents.
- $250 for commercial new buildings; commercial additions; communications tower; detached single-family; attached single-family; multi-family residential; modular homes.