Saint Charles’ Historic Frenchtown Association hosts a House Tour from noon-4 p.m. on Sunday, June 2, that features a historical look at 14 significant buildings in the neighborhood.
The tour begins with a look inside an 1800s firehouse located at 1121 North Second Street, currently the Frenchtown Heritage Museum. It then travels to several other locations in the neighborhood including 10 private homes, a log cabin, historic church, shrine and academy. Docents greet guests at each location and provide guided tours of the buildings while explaining its history, architecture and more. Included are:
• Hischke House, 1314 North Third Street: This shotgun style home was built by Prussian immigrants Otto and Augusta Hischke in 1894.
• Old McKinley Arts, 1701 North Second Street: Named for Saint Charles County Schools Superintendent P.J. McKinley, this school was erected in 1915.
• Wiedey House, 1201 North Fourth Street: This Queen Anne style home was built by Catherina Wiedey in 1883.
• Adams House, 1106 North Fourth Street: In 2017, the Landmark Board awarded the homeowners of this Craftsman style dwelling with a Certificate of Recognition for Sensitive Infill New Construction in a Historic District.
• Carter House, 1027 North Fourth Street: Built in 1899, this home features a combination of styles.
• William Alexander House – Victorian House St. Charles, 709 North Fourth Street: With its Italianate style of architecture, this stunning 1860s home was owned by William Archibald Alexander who was the mayor of St. Charles from 1870-1871.
• Sacred Heart Academy, 619 North Second Street: Founded in 1818 by St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, it was the first free school west of the Mississippi River.
• Working Men’s Chapel Freedom Church, 801 North Third Street: This Gothic Revival style chapel was erected for workmen tasked with building the Wabash Railroad Bridge.
• Weeke-Lawler House, 305 Morgan Street: This Italianate villa mansion constructed in 1865 was the first home in St. Charles to have a bathtub and steam furnace.
• Log Cabin, 305 Morgan Street: Residing on the property of the Weeke-Lawler House, this rectangular cabin has been restored inside and out.
• Litteken House, 320 Morgan Street: Prior to this French style home being built in 1904, this property was the site of a brickyard.
• John Borgemeier House, 1001 North Third Street: The house was built in 1852 and is the perfect example of a French Colonial style home.
• Henry Opitz House – Frenchtown Inn, 1101 North Third Street: This house is known for its 19th century architecture and 20th century history.
Tour admission is $18 in advance or $20 on the day of the event. To purchase tickets, visit historicfrenchtown.org or call (636) 493-6318.
The Frenchtown Neighborhood is a national historic district that was developed between 1840 and 1930. It includes representative examples of Greek Revival, Late Victorian and Colonial style architectures. The district also includes an industrial complex associated with the St. Charles Car Company, founded in 1873, later known as the American Car and Foundry Company.