Road construction is one of life’s certainties, a few notches below death and taxes.
The upcoming construction season in St. Charles County has multiple projects. As with any outdoor construction project, all work is weather-dependent.
According to to Andrew Tuerck, MoDOT’s area engineer for St. Charles County, county road projects for 2017 are:
- Interstate 70 pavement and barrier wall improvements from Fifth Street in St. Charles to Mid Rivers Mall Drive in St. Peters started this month, will go through October and will require overnight and possibly weekend lane closures. “As a first order of work, crews will make general pavement repairs where needed,” Tuerck said. “Once the pavement repairs are made, crews will remove and replace the barrier wall then finish with resurfacing. The resurfacing work will consist of milling a portion of the existing asphalt driving surface then replacing it.”
- I-70 Outer Road from Zumbehl in St. Charles to Route 370 in St. Peters. Tuerck said crews will perform a round of pavement repairs then add a preventative overlay treatment to extend the life of the existing asphalt.
- Route 364 from I-64 near O’Fallon to Mid Rivers Mall Drive in St. Peters – guard cable installation and construction of an emergency responder turnaround. Tuerck said construction should start this spring and is slated to be completed this fall.
- Hwy. N from Roundtower to Weiss roads in Cottleville will be widened with shoulder and left turn lane additions. Started early 2017 and completion this fall. “This stretch of Hwy. N was the last remaining portion of roadway between Hwy. K and Cottleville where improvements had not yet been made to the old roadway,” Tuerck said. “The road will be rebuilt with wider shoulders; a shared left turn lane and guardrail improvements to help make the road more safe and efficient for motorists.” Construction began last August and should be completed in late October.
Finally, seven bridges are scheduled to receive deck treatments this spring:
- Wentzville Parkway over I-70
- Hwy. Z over I-70 [2 bridges] in Wentzville
- Elevated ramp from southbound Hwy. 61 to westbound I-70 in Wentzville
- Lake Saint Louis Boulevard over I-64
- Ronald Reagan Boulevard over I-64 in Lake Saint Louis
- Route 364/Hwy. N Bridge over I-64 near O’Fallon
- Research Park Bridge over I-64 in Weldon Spring
Next year, a large project will be to re-stripe lanes, improve interchanges, build outer roads and construct sidewalks on and near I-70 from Woodlawn Avenue to T.R. Hughes Boulevard in O’Fallon.
“The I-70 outer road project is a cost share project among the City of O’Fallon, St. Charles County Highways and MoDOT that aims to alleviate traffic congestion around the Route K/I-70 interchange,” Tuerck said. He said the project would begin next year and should complete in spring 2020.