Third- and fourth-grade students at the Academy of the Sacred Heart recently got into the Christmas spirit by becoming Santa’s helpers and working with the nonprofit support agency of the same name.
Fourth-graders traveled to “Santa’s warehouse” to wrap presents, stuff stockings, decorate boxes and make candy bags. Third-graders collected hundreds of toys for Santa’s helpers by organizing a Pajama Day that allowed students who donated a toy to be able to wear their PJs to school.
Santa’s Helpers is a nonprofit organization, located in Manchester, Missouri, that has served underprivileged children in the metro St. Louis area for almost 50 years.
Students help out local community
Over 4,300 cans were donated to benefit the local OASIS Food Pantry during the annual Francis Howell canned food drive in November.
Sponsored by the Student Council and National Honor Society organizations, students competed across the district during second hour classes to see who could bring in the most canned goods.
Journalism students make school history
Francis Howell School District students were among those who took home awards from the recent Journalism Educators Association/National High School Journalism Convention.
Francis Howell North had 21 student staffers attend the convention, where they picked up tips and tricks from their counterparts around the country.
[For a list of winners, see this story online at www.midriversnewsmagazine.com.]
Celebrating St. Rose Philippine Duchesne
The celebration of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne’s Feast Day stopped traffic in St. Charles on Nov. 18.
A police escort led the way as nearly 350 Duchesne High students, faculty members and parents joined in a Eucharistic procession from the school to the Shrine of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne at the Academy of the Sacred Heart.
In addition to founding the Academy of the Sacred Heart, St. Philippine is credited with founding Catholic education in the Archdiocese of St. Louis and the first education of any kind in St. Charles County. Duchesne High was named in her honor when it was opened in 1956 as a replacement for St. Peter High, which was founded in 1924 as St. Charles County’s first Catholic high school.
After visiting the shrine, Duchesne students were joined by nearly 400 additional students and adults from the Sacred Heart community.
Additionally, as part of the feast day celebration, the Academy had a boxed food collection organized by its Social Justice Leadership Committee, for the benefit of New Hope Food Pantry.