Catherine Dolan and Brooke Cusumano will lead the Missouri “Amateur” team while Ellen Port, Tina Jones and Kathy Glennon will lead the Missouri “Mid Amateur” team into the Fore State Championship that begins next week.
Dolan, a Ballwin native, and Cusumano, of St. Louis, competed in the recent Missouri Women’s Amateur Golf Association Amateur Championship and the six members of the team came out of that competition.
The Four State Championship will be played at The Shangri La Country Club in Monkey Island, Okla. The competition will be held on the Heritage and Legend Courses. Each state will have teams comprised of six “amateur” length players aged 39 years and under and six “Mid Amateur” players aged 40 and older.
The Amateur yardage will be approximately 6,100 yards and the Mid Amateur yardage is reported to be approximately 5,700 yards.
A practice round will be held Sunday (July 27) and Fourball matches will begin Monday. at 8 a.m. followed by Foursomes matches. The final day of singles matches will be Tuesday.
The team accumulating the most points will win The Fore State Team Championship trophy.
Kansas is the defending Champion. Missouri has won the title six times, most recently in 2006 at the Tulsa (Okla.) Country Club.
MWGA President Nancy Sebastian will serve as Team Captain and Vice President Karen Shippy, as Missouri Rules Representative.
The Fore State Championship was established in 1995 to promote a friendly rivalry among amateur women golfers from the four border states of Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. The competition is held annually in late July or August with each state taking their turn to host the event.
The 2014 Missouri Fore State Team will be comprised of the following players based on performance in recent years in MWGA events as well as availability.
Here are the Amateur level team members (through age 39):
* Brooke Cusumano, who was the 2013 Amateur Low Junior with a fifth-place finish, was a 2013 Junior Four State Team member, and came in fourth place in the 2014 Amateur Championship.
* Catherine Dolan, who was the 2011 and 2013 Amateur Champion, 2012 runner-up, a qualifier for match play in 2012 and 2013 USGA Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship, a 2011 and 2013 Fore State Team Member, and who qualified for 2014 U.S. WAPL.
* Mabrie Cain, St. Peters, who had a top 10 finish 2014 Amateur.
* Kayla Eckelkamp, Washington, who was the runner-up in the 2011 Amateur, finished fourth in the 2012 Amateur, and was a 2011 Fore State Team member.
* Alisha Matthews, St. Louis, who was a 2013 USGA Missouri State Team member, had a 10th-place finish in the 2013 Amateur, was a 2010 and 2011 Fore State Team Member, had a top 20 finish in the 2014 Amateur, and qualified for 2014 U..S WAPL.
* Natalie Bird, Carl Junction, who had an 11th-place finish in the 2013 Amateur, was a 2012 and 2013 Fore State Team Member, and had a top 15 finish at the 2014 Amateur.
The alternate is Gina DellaCamera, of Town and Country.
Here are the Mid Amateur level team members (age 40 years and older):
* Diane Chancellor, Glencoe, who had a fourth-place finish in 2013 Mid Amateur, a 14th-place finish in the 2013 Amateur, and is a multiple past Fore State team member.
* Kathy Glennon, St. Albans, who had top 20 finishes in the Amateur, Mid Amateur, and is a multiple past Fore State Team member.
* Tina Jones, Wildwood, the 2013 Senior Champion, and a multiple past Fore State Team member.
* Ellen Port, St. Louis, who won the 2014 Amateur Championionship for her ninth title and was the 2013 U.S. Senior Amateur champion, and is a multiple past Fore State Team member.
* Stephany Powell, Springfield, the 2012 Senior champion, finished third in the 2013 Mid Amateur, and is a multiple past Fore State/USGA Team member.
* Dee Robertson, Iberia, who was a top 15 finisher in the Mid Amateur.
The alternate is Nancy Walther, of St. Louis.